Frequently Asked Questions About LASIK
Got questions about LASIK in Colorado Springs? We have answers!
Does LASIK hurt?
The procedure has little or no pain and is performed under topical anesthesia. In fact, some patients are surprised at how little they feel during the procedure. At The Wright Eye Center, we perform bladeless LASIK in Colorado Springs which is a less invasive procedure than traditional LASIK so patients are less likely to experience post-operative pain. We can discuss this in greater detail during your free LASIK Consultation.
Is LASIK really safe?
Dr. John Wright has performed over 39,000 LASIK procedures, and he has an excellent track record of success with his patients. While no doctor can 100% guarantee perfect vision results after any type of medical procedure, we feel confident that LASIK is a safe procedure when it is performed on patients with the right eye health and vision characteristics. Poor outcomes with LASIK are often due to several reasons:
- The patient was not a good candidate for the procedure and should not have undergone LASIK
- There was no prior examination done by a LASIK specialist to confirm candidacy for the procedure
- The person who performed LASIK was inexperienced or unskilled
- The LASIK technology used was out-of-date
When you choose The Wright Eye Center for LASIK, you will undergo a comprehensive examination of your eye health before we will ever recommend you for LASIK. We may turn away some patients OR recommend a different type of vision correction option that will be better suited for their eye health, age, vision goals, etc.
Is LASIK covered by insurance?
LASIK is considered an elective procedure under most insurance plans. This means that it’s not medically necessary for you to have the procedure so it typically isn’t covered by insurance. However, if you truly want to reduce or eliminate your dependence on glasses or contacts, our team at The Wright Eye Center will help you understand your options to make this goal attainable and affordable. One great option is LASIK financing through CareCredit® – there are even 0% interest options if you pay off your balance within a specified timeframe. This is something we can discuss during your free LASIK Consultation.
Isn’t all LASIK the same?
All LASIK is definitely NOT the same! A LASIK experience at one LASIK center will be completely different from another. Here are some of the aspects that can vary from center-to-center:
- Bladeless, customized LASIK (like what we offer) vs. one-procedure-fits-all LASIK performed with a hand-held blade (microkeratome)
- Local surgeon (like Dr. Wright) vs. temporary surgeons who fly in from out-of-state to perform many surgeries on one or two days in the office
- In-house equipment (like what we have in our dedicated LASIK suite) vs. rented equipment that is rolled on-site for surgery days
- Experienced surgeon (like Dr. Wright) vs. doctors who have only done a handful of procedures
- Personalized experience (like what we offer) vs. the LASIK assembly line experience of other centers
We encourage you to visit The Wright Eye Center and other LASIK centers as well to see first-hand how we stand apart from others.
I have the same prescription as my friend who got LASIK. That means I can get it too, right?
Even if you can see clearly when you put on your friend’s eyeglasses, that doesn’t mean your eyes are exactly the same. There are many differences in eye health, refractive error (the corneal shape problem that makes your eyesight blurry) and overall health that might affect your candidacy for LASIK. The only way to know for sure if you can have LASIK is by scheduling a free LASIK Consultation with our team. We’ll provide honest information about your eye health and that might mean that we won’t recommend LASIK for you.
Contact us today to schedule a no-obligation, free LASIK Consultation in Colorado Springs to get all of your LASIK questions answered!